“I’m in my sixties and just noticed I am losing my hearing. For years, I worked in a factory surrounded by noisy machinery. I read I may be able to claim for compensation. The thing is, the factory closed down many years ago.” 

Firstly, our hearing does get worse as we get older. However, if you worked in an environment in the past and were exposed to excessive noise, you could be suffering from noise induced hearing loss and be entitled to compensation from the insurance company of your former employer.

You will need to arrange an appointment with your GP to arrange for an audiogram. Audiologists will be able to tell from the pattern of the audiogram whether your deafness is a natural depreciation over time, or is due to damage that occurred from being exposed to loud noise from machinery at work.

If this is the case, please seek out immediate advice from a lawyer who will be able to investigate your case, trace back your employers and advise you if there is a viable claim. Most firms will consider action on a Conditional Fee Arrangement, or a “No win, No fee” basis.


Articles published on this news page are intended for information only and should not be treated as legal advice.

JMP Solicitors do not accept any responsibility for any loss as a result of any act or omissions taken in respect of any article appearing on this page (or linked from it).

To receive specific legal advice in respect of any legal matter please contact your nearest JMP Solicitors office

Share This